UPSC Main Application Form, Exam Dates, Syllabus and Pattern 2019
UPSC 2019 Prelims Exam was successfully held on June 2, 2019 in offline mode. UPSC has released IAS Result 2019 for Preliminary Examination on July 12, 2019 at its official website – upsc.gov.in.
Latest: UPSC has released IAS 2019 Main exam dates, will be held on September 20, 21, 22, 28 and 29, 2019. Download Official PDF
- Only candidates clearing the prelims cutoff will be eligible to appear in UPSC main exam.
- Qualified candidates will have to register again for Main exam by filling form.
- Detailed Application Form (DAF) available at the official website from August 1 – 16, 2019.
- IAS Main exam will be conducted across 24 cities in offline mode. Check UPSC Final Result 2018
- IAS Syllabus for main exam consists of 7 merit deriving (with two optional papers) and two qualifying languages papers.
- The civil services selection process consists of three stages viz.
- Stage 1: Prelims – June 2, 2019 (Over)
- Stage 2: Main – September 20, 2019.
- Stage 3: Interview/ Personality Test
IAS Exam, also known as Indian Administrative Service, is a national level competition exam conducted by UPSC annually to recruit candidates for civil services like IPS, IFS (Foreign), IAAS, IRS, IDAS, CAPF-AF and others.
Highlights of IAS Exam
|Exam Name||Civil Services Examination|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam Mode||Offline (Pen-Paper Mode)|
|No. of Vacancies||Nearly 900|
UPSC 2019 Exam Dates
UPSC will follow the timeline mentioned in the table below for IAS 2019:
|IAS Preliminary Exam held on||June 2, 2019 (Over)|
|Announcement of Preliminary Exam Result||July 12, 2019 (Out)|
|IAS Main Form to release on||August 1 – 16, 2019|
|IAS Main Admit Card will be issued on||Last week of August, 2019|
|IAS Main Exam 2019 to held on||September 20, 21, 22, 28 and 29, 2019|
|Announcement of Main Exam Result||January 2020|
IAS Main Exam Time Table 2019
|Date and Day||Morning Session9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon||Afternoon Session2:00 AM to 5:00 PM|
|September 20, 2019Friday||Paper – I Essay||No Paper|
|September 21, 2019Saturday||Paper – II General Studies – I||Paper – IIIGeneral Studies – II|
|September 22, 2019Sunday||Paper – IVGeneral Studies – III||Paper – VGeneral Studies – IV|
|September 28, 2019Saturday||Paper – AIndian Language||Paper – BEnglish|
|September 29, 2019Sunday||Paper – VIOptional Paper – I||Paper – VIIOptional Paper – II|
Age Limit & Educational Qualifications for IAS
Candidates have to fulfill the eligibility criteria set by the authorities to take the exam. The eligibility parameters are set on the basis of Nationality, Age Limit, Educational Qualifications, Number of Attempts and Physical Standards. Given below are the IAS Exam Eligibility Criteria:
- For IAS and IPS, applicants must be a citizen of India.
- Other services require candidates to be either,
- Citizen of India
- Subject of Nepal
- Subject of Bhutan
- Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962, to settle permanently.
- An Indian origin migrant from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam who came to permanently settle in India.
- The lower age limit for IAS Exam 2019 is 21 years as on August 1, 2019, while the upper age limit is 32 years.
- There is upper age relaxation for reserved category candidates, which is as follows:
- SC/ST- Up to 5 years
- OBC- Up to 3 years
- Defense Services Personnel disabled in operations during hostilities- Up to 3 years
- Ex-servicemen- Up to 5 years
- ECOs/SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years of Military Service- Up to 5 years
- PwD candidates- Up to 10 years
- Domiciles of Jammu and Kashmir from January 1, 1980, to December 31, 1989- Up to 5 years. Also Check VBU Result 2019
- Applicants must hold a graduate degree or equivalent qualification from a recognized university
Number of Attempts
- Only six attempts are allowed for a candidate to clear IAS Exam 2019.
UPSC IAS 2019 Detailed Application Form
Candidates who have qualified the preliminary exam are required to register again for IAS Main examination by filling Detailed Application Form (DAF) from August 1 till August 16, 2019 at the official website.
How to Fill IAS Detailed Application Form (DAF)?
Step 1- Online Registration
- Visit the official website i.e. upsc.gov.in
- Click on the link ‘UPSC Civil Services (Main) Examination 2019’ under Active Examinations section
- Login using your 6 digit Prelims Roll Number, Password, Name and E-mail ID.
- Enter captcha and Click on Submit button. You will receive your login credentials at registered ID.
Step 2- Fill Detailed Application Form (DAF)
- Login again using your credentials to fill the DAF.
- Candidates have to fill their Personal, Educational, Parental and Employment details.
- Keep saving each module after filling the details.
- You can make changes before the final submission.
- However, no changes would be possible after the final submission, hence fill DAF very carefully.
Step 3- Uploading Documents
Candidates have to upload following documents in the DAF:
- Proof of Age
- Academic Qualification Degrees
- Caste Certificate, if applicable
- PH Certificate, if applicable
- Photo ID proof
Step 4- DAF Fee Payment
- Choose the payment method between online or offline mode
- For online payment, candidates can use credit card/debit card/Rupay card or Internet Banking Services.
- For offline payment, download the e-challan and submit the cash in SBI bank branches on next day itself.
- Detailed Application Form Fee for Main examination is INR 200.
- After fee payment, download and save the filled-in the form.
Note: Female applicants and SC/ST/ PwD category candidates are exempted from paying the fee.
Posts Offered through IAS
There are a total of 896 vacancies that have been announced this year via the civil services exam. It is for the first time in a decade that the vacancies announced by UPSC are this less. Following posts are offered in two given groups: Also Check GDS Vacancy
|GROUP A SERVICES|
|Indian Administrative Service||Indian Post and Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service|
|Indian Audit and Accounts Service||Indian Postal Service|
|Indian Civil Accounts Service||Indian Railway Accounts Service|
|Indian Corporate Law Service||Indian Railway Personnel Service|
|Indian Defence Accounts Service||Indian Railway Traffic Service|
|Indian Defence Estates Service||Indian Revenue Service (Custom and Central Excise)|
|Indian Foreign Service||Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax)|
|Indian Information Service (Junior Grade)||Indian Trade Service (Gr. III)|
|Indian Ordnance Factories Service (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)||Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force|
|Indian Police Service||—|
|GROUP B SERVICES|
|Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Services (Section Officer’s Grade)||Pondicherry Civil Service|
|Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu, and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Services||Pondicherry Police Service|
|Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu, and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Services||–|
IAS 2019 Admit Card
The admit card for IAS Main Exam will be released in the last week of August, 2019. Candidates can download their admit cards by following the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of UPSC
- Click on the link ‘Download IAS Main Admit Card 2019’
- Read the instructions mentioned carefully and click ‘Yes’
- Enter Registration ID or Roll Number followed by Date of Birth of the candidate
- Submit after entering the captcha in the given blank field
- Print IAS Admit Card
Discrepancy in IAS Admit Card
In case the candidate finds any discrepancy in UPSC 2019 Admit Card, he/she must report it immediately to the UPSC examination authorities. Note that following particulars must be enclosed in the document:
- Name and Year of Examination
- Registration ID
- Roll number
- Name in BLOCK LETTERS
- Complete postal address
IAS 2019 Exam Centers
UPSC Main Exam will be held in numerous IAS Exam Centres in 24 different cities across India listed below:
IAS 2019 Exam Pattern- Examination Scheme
IAS Exam 2019 consists of 3 stages namely, Preliminary, Main and Personal Interview. Each exam has a different pattern and different number of questions.
- Preliminary exam in IAS Exam 2019 is just a screening test to shortlist candidates for the further selection process.
- Those who qualify Prelims are required to re-register for IAS Main 2019 which is qualifying in nature.
- Further, selected candidates will appear for the personal interview round.
Exam Pattern for UPSC IAS 2019 is given in the table below:
|SPECIFICATIONS||IAS PRELIMINARY EXAM||IAS MAIN EXAM|
|Medium||Bilingual (English and Hindi)||Bilingual (English and Hindi)|
|Number of qualifying papers||2||7|
|Total weightage||400 Marks (200 each)||1750 Marks|
|Type of questions||Objective||Both Objective and Subjective|
|Negative marking for each incorrect answer||one-third (0.33)||one-third (only for objective type questions)|
|Duration of exam||2 Hours per Paper||3 Hours per Paper|
UPSC IAS 2019 Syllabus
IAS Syllabus is decided by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) each year. Each stage in the IAS exam has a different syllabus.
- IAS Syllabus for Prelims evaluates a candidate’s knowledge and aptitude in current affairs.
- IAS Syllabus for Main assesses a candidate’s academic expertise in his specialized subject. It also tests his ability to present knowledge in a clear and coherent manner and his overall intellectual traits and understanding of concepts.
- IAS Exam 2019 covers questions from History, Polity, Geography and Agriculture, Science and Technology, Ecology and Environment, Economics, Arts and Culture, Social Welfare and GK.
- In Main examination, candidates have to choose two optional subjects in which they have specialization and the level of paper corresponds to the bachelors’ degree.
Also Read GDCE Syllabus 2019
Preparation Books for UPSC IAS Exam 2019
The following books can assist candidates to prepare well for one of the most competitive government exams of the country.
Find below the list of Preparation books for IAS Exam 2019:
|History Of Modern India (History)||Bipan Chandra|
|India’s Struggle For Independence (History)||Bipan Chandra|
|India’s Ancient Past (History)||R.S. Sharma|
|History Of Medieval India (History)||Satish Chandra|
|A New Look at Modern Indian History||BL Grover|
|The Wonder That Was India (Culture)||A.L. Bhasham|
|Indian Art and Culture (Culture)||Nitin Singhania|
|Our Parliament||Subash Kashyap|
|Geography of India (Geography)||Majid Husain|
|Oxford School Atlas (Geography)||Oxford|
|Science and Technology||TMH|
|CSAT Book Cracking the CSAT Paper-2||Arihant|
|Certificate Physical and Human Geography (Geography)||Goh Cheng Leong|
|Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations (Polity)||M. Laxmikanth|
|Indian Economy (Economy)||Ramesh Singh|
|Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure (Environment)||Rajagopalan|
|A History of Modern World||Ranjan Chakravarti|
|Environment for Civil Services Prelims and main (Environment)||Khuller|
|Facets of Indian Culture||Spectrum|
|Indian Constitution||PM Bakshi|
|Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning||R. S. Aggarwal|